Impacts on the tourist sector are regarded as a controversial issue: despite the fact that local tourism businesses tend to consider wind farming as detrimental, there are also examples in which wind energy has favoured the creation of new forms of tourism, supported by a proper marketing promotion.
Usually residents of touristic resorts tend to develop a strong sense of place, and that will re-inforce the negative attitude of tourist operators and the community as a whole.
- Opposition by environmental and conservation movements
- Stronger residents’ opposition
- Risk of lower profitability in the tourist business
- Diminished economic growth prospects
- New forms of tourism
- New recreational/educational facilities
- Targeted land/nature conservation measures